Friday, November 9, 2007

What I plan to do in Antarctica for next 4 months

Antarctica is a continent of extreme climatic conditions and isolation. To spend more than a few days under such conditions can prove to be a stressful experience. Different people use different strategies to cope with such a situation. It is extremely important that anyone in this kind of environment develops some healthy and meaningful strategies, and thus avoids boredom and resultant ill effects on physical and mental health. One thus can avoid any escalation in one’s tobacco and alcohol consumption also.

As I have said earlier, I shall be making regular structured assessment of team members’ general and psychological health alongwith assessment of their adaptive and coping behaviour and strategies.

What more I have planned for myself: I am carrying a good stock of books to read and music to listen. Maitri, the Indian station at Antarctica, has its own library stocking a large collection of books, music and movies. I have planned to be more regular with my physical exercises and learn some breathing exercises. The station has a small gym too. I shall also like to learn what kind of projects other scientists are doing, and pick up some scientific jargon to impress others. I shall also like to improve my knowledge and skills of photography. I am carrying still and video cameras and plan to shoot extensively. My photographer friend and producer for a TV channel has advised me to keep some storylines in mind while I am shooting. Such storylines could be: my observations as doctor of others; following their scientific projects and Indian scientific progress; evidence of climatic changes, etc.
And of course, I shall be writing my journal regularly, and try to put it over this blog for you all to know what I am up to. Kushagra will help me in this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pranam bhaiya...
all the best for your research work.

this is really gr8 to hear that there are stations , provided with gyms and libraries...
bhaiya, can u attach some videos to this blog....it will be really gr8 to look antarctica(originally). it will be really easy to grasp and practical ly seen.....
more sort of images....

Q- wat abt 6 months night and 6 month.. days...
the reaseach work also goes on 6 months night time...i dont think so(incredible).
- rupin

REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY

REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY Recently on my visit to Chawri Bazaar in old and real Delhi, where my ancestors settled, lived and thrived ever si...