Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Static Electricity

The static current is a funny problem here. I don't remember if I ever wrote you people about it. Being near the pole, our body develops static current due to movements in closed areas, working in labs with equipments having magnets or electro-magnets, or wearing clothes containing synthetic fibres like nylon etc. The problem gets worse during winter when members are confined indoors most of the time. All the labs containing computers, communication equipments etc have a warning at the door to discharge oneself of charge before entering the lab by touching a copper wire hanging outside. In spite of that the display function of all the phones here with caller ID has been damaged. People avoid a touching or handshake with certain members who are known to carry more charge because of their working with charge generating equipments. It gives a shock to the other people which is audible at a distance; while one is wincing with that momentary shock all other burst into laughter. I too have a one or two pieces of garments that generate more charge than others; esp., my favourite front open black sweater. I am sure to get these shocks many times a day. So on days when I am wearing it, I keep on touching metallic surface periodically so as not to allow more charge to accumulate. I have to be careful when working with my laptop.


Unknown said...

I just came through to your fascinating blog from sepia mutiny. I wish I had discovered it myself earlier.

I am a journalist based in Delhi, working with a news agency. I would love to speak to with you on your blog and your life in antartica, so that I could write about you to a wider audience.

It would be really great if you can pass only your personal e-mail to me so that I could write to you.


Kush Khandelwal said...

Hi Devirupa,

I'm posting for Dr S. K. Khandelwal by proxy (as he cannot directly access the Internet online). However, he is able to received email regularly. He also has a phone line that he can access. If you pass me your email address, I'll be happy to forward it to him. I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from you.


Unknown said...

thanks so much... my email is devirupa at gmail dot com.

Also I would love to speak to you and your family on how the blog is helping to keep you in touch with your father.

Anjali Damerla said...

I too came from Sepia Mutiny.

Very interesting blog. Was in Christchurch, NZ and got to experience the freezing temp in that Antarctic center and also went for a ride in Hagglund. It was scary.

Have bookmarked your blog and will visit regularly.
Stay warm :)

Kush Khandelwal said...

Devirupa, Sent you an email separately.

Anonymous said...

Found you through sepia mutiny. I'll definitely be back, what a fascinating blog. Thanks!

blogerazzi said...

Great Blog! I really enjoyed reading about the static electricity bit :)

Arvi said...

Hi Kush,

Please let Dr Khandelwal know that his blog is a refreshing read, and its wonderful to learn about his experiences.

I came by as well off sepia mutiny, and will definitely make a note off my blog as well to provide wider reach.


Burgess said...

There is a gentleman here in Portland Maine that was suffering from static electricity zapping as you have been, so he invented a product he calls Staticoff Static Zapper. There is further information on his blog which is:

Matthew Miller said...

The StaticOff strikes me as overkill. You need to replace all the light switch plates in your house and touch that plate when entering the room for it to work.

There are many cheaper alternatives. You could, for example, wear a metal strapped watch and tap it against a grounded surface several times a day. That had the advantage of being portable and not just an "At home only" solution.


REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY Recently on my visit to Chawri Bazaar in old and real Delhi, where my ancestors settled, lived and thrived ever si...